Sunday, February 27, 2011

Coq au Vin (Ragout of Chicken and Wine)




I think I was 13 and it was a class trip to Quebec. At the foot of Chateau Frontenac, in a small cafe, I enjoyed Coq Au Vin for the first time. I remember it distinctly because our parents had to sign a release pre trip for us to enjoy this dish in particular (and the accompanying glass of wine - Mom must not have had her coffee yet that morning. ;))
Today was just "one of those days". We all have them. In fact even though I'd shopped for all my ingredients yesterday? (FOUND the tomatoe paste in a tube!) I just wasn't feeling it today. I went back to bed.
I'm going to call the blanching and peeling of pearl onions "therapeutic".
Insane is all I can say about this dish. I think at one point Al looked at me as I was awaiting a reaction, "THAT is CRAZY good!" Success!
p.s. My hair and eyebrows are still intact. LOL!

5 comments:

  1. Your dish looks amazing. Much better than the "characteristic" recipe with all red wine. Congratulations on the cognac flambe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is, "This was awesome!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great presentation. How long did it take yo make?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good, Rachel!! Yummy! And I can't believe you were able to capture the flames so nicely in the picture. How cool is that?! Even though you weren't feeling it, looks like another successful day with Julia! Al's reaction says it all! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sewglo - It took "a glass and a half of wine" time. Soooo.... about 2 hours total start to finish. :)

    ReplyDelete